Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sober or Intoxicated: Where are we running?

EXPLORING : Why Do We Over-Indulge?


I love a glass of dry red wine from time to time. Chardonnay is alright but when I was 19 I got really drunk on white wine and to this day I don’t really enjoy white like I did before that episode.

Why do so many young adults drink more than they need to? For me I think it was a learning curve – testing out how much is too much, and how much is enough. And that’s cool. We learn as children after Easter how much is ‘too much’ chocolate. We often learn the hard way what are our limits.

But sometimes we eat or drink , work or play ‘too hard’ because we don’t really want to stop and face what life is giving us. But you know what? I’ve learned that everything put before us is for ultimate good. I’ve friends who lost a child aged 9. The daughter fell out of a tree and broke her neck. For sure it was a horrible tragedy to endure. But years later, they’ve raised their other two children to adulthood and have helped hundreds of people through bereavement.

There are some things that happen to us that we don’t bring on ourselves. There are heinous crimes being committed against innocent people. But good can come from evil and facing our pain brings the pain to an eventual conclusion.

Whatever the reason for ‘too much’ in our lives, there is always a way to face and to overcome. Time heals, God heals; starting again is a healing process. Whatever the pain, whatever the cause for grief, a tear shed is one less tear holding onto you, and one more step toward wholeness.

Character grows out of adversity. Trust that and you can climb over any mountain, even if it is only one step at a time.

You can check out my twitter account: @disowndredeemd for relevant bits and bites or see www.freetobelaruspress.wordpress.com for more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to say?